Thursday, February 16, 2023

The Actress to Journalist Pipeline: Why I Chose Journalism

 

As a little girl, there was only one place I wanted to be when I grew up: Broadway

I did it all. I took voice lessons, dance lessons, and acting boot camps. There was nothing that made me happier than live theater (there still isn’t). I performed every chance I got from nursing homes to talent shows; all I wanted to do was tell stories through songs and acting. 


Once I got a little older, I faced a harsh reality, the theater world is cutthroat and I probably didn’t have the skills to make it. Being good in New Bern, North Carolina is a whole different ball game than being good in New York City. I didn’t have the look, I didn’t have the credentials, and I didn’t have the confidence. 



All throughout high school I still considered pursuing acting professionally, it wasn’t until my senior year that I considered journalism at all. 


“You’re a writer,” said my high school English teacher, “and a good one.”


I had written some short stories and a couple poems in my free time, but I had never considered it as a career path. However, my parents were thrilled to know I was somewhat interested in pursuing a field other than acting. 


I started to look into what journalists even do. I was able to take part in a journalism summer intensive where I learned that multiple of the guest speakers had some sort of theatrical background because actors and journalists have one very important thing in common: storytelling.


I have always known I wanted to be a storyteller, I just thought I would be telling stories on stage rather than on paper.


I came to college as a shy journalism major that barely knew what the word meant. I wasn’t even sure if journalists wrote about anything other than politics.


I have found many other journalism majors also interested in theatre with backstories similar to mine. Many do not realize the commonalities between the two. While I am now a proud journalism major, I am also a musical theater minor. I am able to keep that passion alive throughout my time here at High Point and use it as I explore the possibilities of arts and entertainment journalism. 



Minus a few mid-semester breakdowns where I considered completely changing fields, I am beginning to become equipped with the tools needed to become a twenty-first-century journalist through this class and many others required for the major. I am slowly but surely finding my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rise of Cancel Culture: A Modern Look at "Good Night and Good Luck"

Based on true events, the 2005 film "Good Night and Good Luck" follows journalist and CBS broadcaster Edward Murrow as he faces ...